Going for hiking or backpacking is the perfect way to take a break from regular life. Sometimes all we need to do is backpack the most essential things and go out for camping.
The only hassle while trekking is night stay. Luckily, we have backpacking tents these days. They are lightweight and portable. You can carry it like a backpack and can set it up anywhere they want.
Backpacking tents assure safe, sound and comfortable stay during camping. They provide temporary homes away from home to help us spend a day/ night out. They protect us from different weather conditions along with the insects and bugs.
If you are planning to go for hiking or backpacking and need a backpacking tent, this article will help you give insights into backpacking tents in the market. We have shortlisted the best backpacking tents based on their various features.
Here are our top picks for the best backpacking tens of 2019.
- Best tent overall:
- Best ultralight backpacking tent:
- Best tent for couples:
- Best tent for 4-season backpacking:
- Best 3 persons tent:
- Best 1 person tent:
- Best budget-friendly tent:
- Best tent under $100:
If you are looking for a perfect 2 person backpacking tent for warm or hot weather condition, then you should get Coleman Sundome 2 person backpacking tent. It is a great backpacking tent which is perfect for camping and trekking excursions in hot and warm weather conditions.
It will give you the best shelter away from home. Along with protection from weather conditions, it will also give you shelter from insects and bugs by making sure they don’t crawl inside.
Its dome style will make you feel that you are in your home. The tent is equipped with all the accessories for your comfort. Setting it up is easy and takes less than 10 minutes.
Let’s look at some of the Features & Drawbacks this backpacking tent has to offer to the customer…Read in-depth review
Pros of Coleman Sundome 2 Person Tent
- It is a dome shaped tent that is spacious space inside to move with comfort.
- It can be set up in less than 10 minutes.
- It has large windows and ground vent for better ventilation.
- It is perfect for 2 people.
- It comes with WeatherTec system to keep you dry.
- It is available in many sizes for additional persons.
Cons of Coleman Sundome 2 Person Tent
- There is no footprint in this backpacking tent.
- It has no vestibules for extended storage.
- This tent is heavier than other tents in the same price range.
- The rain fly seems to be smaller than the roof which might be an issue during the rainy season.
Overall, Coleman Sundome 2 tent is a reliable backpacking tent for occasional usage. It is easy to use and has different features which are for sure going to help you on your camping or trekking trip. Though it is heavy, it does its job perfectly.
If you need a reliable shelter for you and your partner during camping or trekking, look no further than Marmot Crane Creek 2-person backpacking tent. The tent is an ideal choice for camping and trekking.
It is durable and comes with seam-taped polyester to make it waterproof. Additionally, its vent can be opened to release heat outside. It comes with two large sized doors on either side for easy access.
Additionally, it has spacious overhead. Its vestibules also provide extra space, whcih can be used to store your gear. It is a good option for a home away from home. The fabric used is strong and durable. It will help you against different weather conditions…Read in-depth review
Let’s look at some features & cons of this backpacking tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of Marmot Crane Creek Backpacking and Camping Tent
- Waterproof rain fly with full coverage.
- Double D-shaped walls for easy access and exit.
- 7000 series aluminium poles for long durability.
- Dual overhead vestibules for more storage.
- Lightweight and portable.
Cons of Marmot Crane Creek Backpacking and Camping Tent
- Smaller area while compared to same price bracket backpacking tents.
- Specifications of the tent are not described.
The backpacking tent is quite reliable and strong due to the high quality of the fabric used. This enables the tent to handle any weather condition.
Hence, if you are looking for a reliable 2 or 3 person backpacking tent for your trekking, you can go with Marmot Crane Creek backpacking tent.
If you need an entry level backpacking tent which fulfils all your basic camping needs, Alps Mountaineering Mermac 2-person tent will fulfil your needs. This backpacking tent has lighter weight than other tents in the same price bracket.
This backpacking tent contains dual doors and windows. The fabric of the rain fly is of polyester and protects you from rain. The backpacking tent comes sealed from factory. Hence, there is no need of extra waterproofing.
The tent is freestanding and has proper ventilation. It doesn’t let the weather condition affect you. The tent gets amazing ventilation because of the mesh material. We found the tent to be perfect for 2 persons in any weather conditions.
Let’s have a look towards some features & cons of this backpacking tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 2-Person Tent
- Well ventilated to keep you cool in summer.
- Dual doors for easy get in and out.
- Freestanding design which makes it easy to set up.
- More sizes available.
- Quality product at affordable price.
Cons of ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 2-Person Tent
- Too big and heavy to pack and carry.
- Not so good for heavy rainfall.
- No vestibule area for added space.
- No space for gears after 2 peoples.
As a final overview, this is an incredible backpacking tent. It is a bit heavier compared to others. But it does its job well. If you are planning for weekend camping and have a limited budget, go with this backpack. It is for sure going to fulfil all your requirements.
If you love going for bike or moto camping, then this backpacking tent is the best thing to own. It is very small and lightweight two-person tent which can be packed on a bike.
The backpacking tent comes with a two-pole design for easy and quick assembly. It even has dual doors for easy access and exit. It can be set up by a single person without any hassle.
The tent comes with a rain cover and different storage pockets. There are vestibules on either side of the tents to protect the rain fly. It has got nice mesh panels for better ventilation.
Let’s look at some Features and Cons of this backpacking tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2-Person Tent
- Quick & easy to set up.
- Spacious interior inside.
- Extra Vestibule space for keeping gears.
- Well ventilated with mesh panels.
- Lightweight and compact to carry.
- Spacious ample headroom.
- Dual doors for easy access.
Cons of ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2-Person Tent
- Heavier than other same category tents.
- Not suitable for taller peoples.
The tent is perfect for you if you love dirt biking or riding adventures. It can be easily stowed on the bike. The weight of the tent is perfect and doesn’t feel heavy even while carrying. Though it has limited space inside after one person and his/her gears. Still, it can be an optimal choice for trekking or camping.
Wolfwise backpacking tent is a lightweight and portable backpacking tent. It is quite easy to assemble and setup. It is a 3 season tent which can also be used in moderately cold weather.
It can be set up within a few minutes and gives you waterproof shelter away from home. The rain fly is made of 190T embossed polyester. It will protect you from all weather conditions. It also has ventilating mesh along with double stitched-seams and stitch taping.
The backpacking tent comes with embedded USB lights inside. You don’t need to carry extra light for the tent. It features dual doors for easy access and exit.
Below are some Features & Cons of this backpack…Read in-depth review
Pros of WolfWise 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent
- Very simple setup.
- Well ventilated with mesh panels.
- Sturdy construction.
- Dual doors availability.
- Embedded USB light.
- Suitable for all weather conditions.
Cons of WolfWise 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent
- Heavy in weight for a two-person tent.
- Not suitable for winter usage.
- Not suitable for taller peoples.
The backpacking tent is easy to carry and easy to pack. It can be set up with ease and comes with embedded LED lights in it. The tent is well-ventilated and has got sturdy construction. The tent is suitable according to its pricing and can be perfect for two people usage.
If you want a single backpacking tent with quality as well as comfort, Mountainsmith Morrison 2 person tent will be a great choice for you. This particular tent is designed as a versatile tent.
It is a freestanding tent having the floor area of around 35 sq. ft. It has double doors for easy access. There are mesh walls panels for better ventilation. The tent comes with eight 6061 aluminium reinforced V-stakes for better stability.
The tent comes with a removable gear loft. It also has interior mesh storage pockets to keep it organized.
Let’s look at some features and cons of the backpacking tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent
- Dual doors for easier access.
- Dual vestibules for extra storage.
- Bathtub design floor construction.
- Detachable ceiling loft.
- Many grommet pole attachment points.
- Breathable 185T polyester material fabric.
Cons of Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent
- Not durable in long-term usage.
- Heavier and bulkier than average backpacking tents.
- Too small for two peoples.
This backpacking tent is made up of quality material and provides comfort. Two people can accommodate with ease inside but there won’t be any extra space left for gears or boots to keep. So it might not feel as spacious as other tents.
Winterial lightweight camping and backpacking tent is a three season portable tent. It is ideal for spring, summer and fall. The backpacking tent is made using durable nylon which is of great quality.
The tent comes with various extensive features. These features ensure a great and comfortable camping experience. It contains a removable rain fly which helps you keep off rain and keeps you dry.
With different features packed inside the tent, this backpacking tent is perfect for safeguarding you from various weather conditions.
Let’s see some features and cons of this tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of Winterial Lightweight Camping and Backpacking Tent
- Dual door with double layer and zippered.
- Very easy to set up.
- Includes rain fly vented roofs.
- Enough space for 3 peoples.
- Perfect for outdoor trips.
- Reasonable price.
Cons of Winterial Lightweight Camping and Backpacking Tent
- Not suitable for three adults. Two adults and one children can accommodate easily.
- The base is thin which may feel uncomfortable.
- Not good choice for cold weather.
Though this winteral lightweight backpacking requires some improvement, it is a great product to buy. If you need a three-season backpacking tent for three peoples, buying this tent can be the best decision for your camping adventure.
Flytop backpacking tent is a freestanding design tent. It is made taking all weather requirements into account. The tent can withstand every weather conditions.
It comes with dual door and pop up ventilation to let fresh air inside the tent. The tent consists of No-See-Um mesh wall panels which makes it the best choice for winter.
It also comes with light hooks and storage pockets to let you store your basic gadgets. It features two-sided zipper design to open and close tent from any side you want.
Let’s look at some features and cons of this backpacking tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of Flytop 3-4 season 2-person Double Layer Backpacking Tent
- Freestanding design.
- Dual zipper design for easy access.
- No-See-Um Mesh wall for thermal performance.
- Two-sided zipper design.
Cons of Flytop 3-4 season 2-person Double Layer Backpacking Tent
- Low durability.
- Stakes are weak and can easily bend.
- No proper ventilation for breathing.
Going for trekking or camping with this strong backpacking tent will help from any type of challenge the weather might throw at you. It will help you relax moment during trekking or camping. So it can be a good choice for your next adventure.
The Zephyr 3 person tent is a perfect choice if you love to trek and camp in hot and muggy nights. The walls of the tent have proper mesh, which allows most incoming of fresh air. The backpacking tent is designed with 2 unique poles which give extra room for your head.
The tent comes with extensive features. These features protect you from different weather conditions. It is a great lightweight tent at a great price. The solid walls of the tent are good enough to keep you safe from insects and bugs.
The tent has two doors for easy access. It also has vestibules on either of sides for extra storage. The mesh panel gives a lot of ventilation inside the tent. Now, let’s look at some features and cons of this backpacking tent…Read in-depth review
Pros of ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 3-Person Tent
- Freestanding with two poles design.
- Easy to assemble.
- Polyester fly with coating for UV resistance.
- Factory sealed fly.
- Dual doors and vestibules.
- Proper ventilation with entire mesh walls.
- Mesh storage pockets.
Cons of ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 3-Person Tent
- Not so great in heavy rains.
- The rain fly zipper is of poor quality and gets stuck time and again.
- Not so spacious for three adults.
It is a great solid tent for the price bracket it is available for. If you are looking for a three season tent, it would be a great choice as a lightweight backpacking tent.
If you are looking for a feature-rich backpacking tent for 2 persons, then go for this Weanas backpacking tent for two persons. This entry level backpacking tent is an ideal choice for the budget shoppers.
The tent includes standard features such as aluminium stakes, factory taped seams. It also has UV resistant weather coating. The fabric used to manufacture this backpacking tent is Deluxe 20D380T Nylon. It is a great fabric plus it is protected with Silicone coating.
This Weanas backpacking camping tent is easy to install and can be easily set up by a single person. It has high-strength for better stability of the tent. It even withstands harsh weather conditions. Let’s look at some features and cons provided by this backpack…Read in-depth review
Pros of Camping Tent by Weanas
- Silicon coating fabric design.
- Wind and cold resistant.
- Properly ventilated for summer and warm season.
- Dual doors and dual vestibules for easy access and extra storage.
- No-see-um mesh to help against biting pests and bugs.
Cons of Camping Tent by Weanas
- Quite compact even with only 2 people inside.
- The vents could be a tad wider for better ventilation.
- Limited vestibules area.
The tent is a good choice looking at the price point. It does not have extra space inside for gear after 2 people get inside it. But you can manage to store your belongings inside the vestibule.
If you are looking for a backpacking tent with shock-corded fibreglass with clips for easy setup and durable stability. Then go ahead and get this SEMOO Double Layer Tent with Carry Bag for yourself. The tent has high strength fibreglass frame which provides better stability.
It also provides protection from extreme weather condition. The tent also dissembles in few minutes and can be folded and packed in the provided storage bag.
The tent is extremely lightweight and easy to set up. This is perfect for travel camping and hiking. It is constructed using a durable polyester coating. It is going to help you against various weather conditions. It comes with a big D-shaped door for easy access and exit to the tent.
Some features and cons of this backpacking tent:
Pros of SEMOO Double Layer Tent with Carry Bag
- The tent has wide space for accommodation of three peoples.
- Perfect for three season usage.
- Elongated vestibules for extra storage area.
- Includes a carry bag.
- Designed for adventure lovers.
- Strong steel and fibreglass frame gives it great strength and durability.
Cons of SEMOO Double Layer Tent with Carry Bag
- Not spacious for four people.
- Zipper feels of cheap quality.
- Heavier to carry.
The overall quality of the tent is good. It doesn’t give enough space for 4 peoples. But there is enough accommodation space for 3 peoples. Plus the vestibules are there to store your gears safely. Hence, it can be a perfect choice if you have a group of three peoples going for trekking and camping.
This is a great lightweight choice among backpacking tent. If you want to save every ounce of weight by not taking extra items, the Trekking pole backpacking tent should be your ideal choice. This tent uses your trekking poles instead of its own tent poles.
You can make a wide variety of tarps with your trekking pole tent. They hardly have any weight and can be used in various ways. Let’s look at some features and cons of this backpacking tent.
Pros of Trekking Pole Tent
- Comfortable for two people.
- Compact design and can be stored inside a backpack.
- Comes with stakes and a carry bag.
- Ultralight backpacking tent.
- Perfect choice for tall people.
Cons of Trekking Pole Tent
- Not waterproof.
- No room for gear after 2 peoples.
- No vestibules for extra storage.
So if you are looking for ultralight backpacking tent within budget, then you should go with this tent. It is a good option for 2 peoples though there is not enough space for your gears.
If you are looking for a backpacking tent which is perfect for all weather conditions and still comes in budget. Then, you should go for this ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent. The tent comes with various exclusive features at an affordable price.
This features of this tent include anti-wind, anti-snow, anti-rain properties. They make it perfect to carry in any weather situation. This tent is durable to stay stable in any kind of adverse weather conditions.
It also comes with a double layered fabric. The fabric of this backpacking tent is tapped sealed seams. It also comes with snow skirts to prevent snow from getting inside. The bearing mesh improves air circulation and maintains a moderate temperature.
Let’s see some features and cons this backpacking tent has to offer:
Pros of ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent
- Perfect for 3 people.
- The rain fly is durable enough to keep rain away.
- The ceiling height is impressive giving extra space to stand up.
- Freestanding design.
- Dual doors for easier access and exit.
- Proper ventilation for summer and warm weather conditions.
- Two-sided zipper design.
Cons of ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent
- Weaker stakes which can easily bend.
- Not enough space for 4 persons.
Overall, the tent is simple in structure and has a dome shape design. The aluminium poles help to keep the tent stable. A single person can easily set up and pack up the tent without much hassle.
If you are looking for an inexpensive tent that can be used on many day backpacking trips, this would be a perfect choice for you. The tent is comparatively smaller in size which would be perfect for two peoples. This backpacking tent provides durable and quality material in a budget segment.
It has a big D shaped single door for easier access to the tent. The tent may seem compact but is quite spacious inside. The tent is spacious inside but is also a bit heavier than other tents in the same price bracket.
Let’s look at some features and drawbacks of this backpacking tent:
Pros of Kelty Grand Mesa Tent Backpacking Tent
- Easy and hassle-free to set up.
- The interior feels compact compared to other tents.
- It stands strong against various harsh weather conditions.
- The tent weight is low and is easy to carry.
Cons of Kelty Grand Mesa Tent Backpacking Tent
- The tent has only one door. Hence, feels uneasy getting in and out.
- Seems overpriced while looking at the features offered.
The overall quality of the tent is quite decent. The fact that this tent is moderately priced might give you the false impression that this tent is not of high quality. The tent is quite stable in various weather conditions.
Imagine want a backpacking tent which is easy to set up and disassemble. Then, this Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent would be the best choice for you. This backpacking tent features a durable coated taffeta with taped seams. It will keep you safe from rain and snow.
The tent has spacious mesh walls and clip on rain fly for privacy and weather protection. It also has built-in zipper guard and guy wires for staking in high winds. The embedded rain fly and vestibule will save you from rain and give you extra storage.
Pros of Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent
- Contains loop and toggle cot fasteners.
- Side entry door gives you easier access.
- Bungee vestibules for more storage.
- Spacious interior.
Cons of Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent
- Too small rain fly.
- Poor quality zipper.
- Not fit for tall people.
It is all in one design with no detached poles. The tent can be safely and easily assembled in short time. It can be a great choice for one person but not optimal for taller people.
15 Best Backpacking Tents – Comparison
|Backpacking Tent||Image||Weight||Dimension||Floor Area & Height|
|Coleman Sundome 2 Person Tent||7.5 Pounds||82.7 * 59.1 * 47.2 inches||35 Sq. Ft. & 4 Ft.
|Marmot Crane Creek Backpacking & Camping Tent||4.8 Pounds||86 * 50 * 43 inches||32 Sq. Ft. & 4 ft 6 inches
|ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 2-Person Tent||3.8 Pounds||60 * 90 * 48 inches||38 Sq. Ft & 4 ft 8 inches
|ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2-Person Tent||4 Pounds||19.5 * 7.4 * 7.2 inches||31 sq. ft & 3 ft 8 inches
|WolfWise 2-Person 3-4 Season Backpacking Tent||5.07 Pounds||82.7 * 55.1 43.3 inches||-|
|Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent||5.53 Pounds||43 * 92 * 56 inches||35 sq. ft & 43 inches|
|Winterial 3 Person Backpacking & Camping Tent||4.4 Pounds||82 * 64 * 46 inches||4.6 ft centre height|
|Flytop 3-4 season 2-person Double Layer Backpacking Tent||5.9 Pounds||83 * 59 * 45.28 inches||39.69 sq. ft. & 45.28 inches|
|ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 3-Person Tent||5.25 Pounds||89 * 74 * 41 inches||40 sq. ft. & 41 inches|
|Backpacking & Camping Tent by Weanas||3.7 Pounds||81 * 51 *44 inches||32.5 sq. ft. & 43 inches|
|SEMOO Double Layer Lightweight Camping/Traveling Tent with Carry Bag||7.26 pounds||126 * 94.5 * 51.2 inches||51 inches centre height|
|Trekking Pole Tent||8.1 Pounds||91.2 * 103.2 * 62.4 inches||2.2 ft.|
|ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent||3 Pounds||84* 62 * 42 inches||40 sq. ft. & 42 inches|
|Kelty Grand Mesa Tent||4.7 Pounds||85 * 43 *57 inches||30 sq. ft. & 43 inches|
|Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent||4.2 pounds||82 * 39 * 32 inches||40 sq. ft. & 39 inches.|
The Bottom Line
So, the above mentioned backpacking tents were the best tried and tested backpacking tents in the market. You can choose from them for your next trekking and camping trip. If you still find any difficulties in choosing the right backpacking tent for yourself, please email us with your query or drop a comment below. We will get back to you in short span of time.
- 1. Coleman Sundome 2 Person Tent
- 2. Marmot Crane Creek Backpacking and Camping Tent
- 3. ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 2-Person Tent
- 4. ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2-Person Tent
- 5. WolfWise 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent
- 6. Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent
- 7. Winterial Lightweight Camping and Backpacking Tent
- 8. Flytop 3-4 season 2-person Double Layer Backpacking Tent
- 9. ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 3-Person Tent
- 10. Camping Tent by Weanas
- 11. SEMOO Double Layer Tent with Carry Bag
- 12. Trekking Pole Tent
- 13. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent
- 14. Kelty Grand Mesa Tent Backpacking Tent
- 15. Teton Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent
- 15 Best Backpacking Tents – Comparison
- The Bottom Line